Treatment for Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction (TMJ) With BOTOX® in Chicago, IL
Temporomandibular joint dysfunction (or disorder), also known as TMD or TMJ, is a chronic condition that can cause mild or severe symptoms.
Causes of TMJ dysfunction include:
- Teeth grinding (bruxism)
- Gum chewing
- Dental misalignment
Am I a Candidate for TMJ Treatment With BOTOX®?
If you are experiencing one or more of the following symptoms when moving your jaw or opening your mouth, you may be a good candidate for BOTOX® treatment to address TMJ.
- Jaw pain
- Ear pain
- Jaw tension
- Tension headaches
- Muscle spasms in the neck
- Difficulty opening your mouth wide
- A crunching sensation when opening and closing your mouth
With TMJ disorder, you may even feel pain when your mouth and jaw are still.
What Are the Benefits of TMJ Treatment With BOTOX®?
At Chicago Dental Arts, we offer TMJ treatment with BOTOX® and pain relief with Waterlase®.
- BOTOX® fully relaxes the muscles that control movement in the temporomandibular joint to reduce teeth grinding and prevent the spasms associated with TMJ dysfunction.
- TMJ treatment with BOTOX® is long lasting, with patients enjoying relief from jaw pain, restricted jaw movement, and other TMJ symptoms for approximately four months.
- Waterlase® helps prevent pain in patients with TMJ disorder during dental procedures and may reduce chronic TMJ pain.
Want to learn more about what TMJ Treatments can do for you? Call Chicago Dental Arts today at (312) 642-6631.
How Does TMJ Treatment With BOTOX® Work?
BOTOX® is a neuromodulator made from botulinum toxin A and has many medical and cosmetic uses. With TMJ disorder, it blocks specific brain signals sent to and received by nerves that trigger involuntary muscle movement at the temporomandibular joint.
BOTOX® allows your jaw muscles to relax fully when not in use, reducing or eliminating the spasms that cause TMJ symptoms.
Is There Downtime Associated With BOTOX® TMJ Treatment?
You may experience some post-procedure discomfort, usually no worse than a bee sting, which can be addressed with a cold pack. This sensation should subside in a day or two and shouldn’t prevent you from returning to your routine activities immediately.
What to Avoid After BOTOX® Treatment
- Avoid massaging or rubbing the injection site areas.
- Sit up and don’t lie down for four hours to prevent BOTOX® from spreading to other parts of the face.
- Avoid sunbathing, saunas, hot tubs, or other heat exposure for at least 24 hours after being treated for TMJ disorder with BOTOX®.
Occasionally, patients experience the following temporary side effects:
- Temporary eyelid droop
- Flu-like symptoms/illness
- Other rare complications
What Results Can I Expect After Undergoing TMJ Treatment?
After receiving TMJ treatment with BOTOX®, you should find immediate relief of most if not all of your symptoms. After any soreness subsides, you can expect to have no difficulty eating, speaking, swallowing, or yawning for about four months.
Other related symptoms should also begin to improve significantly.
If your condition was caused by dental misalignment, you might opt to undergo orthodontic or restorative treatment and potentially cure temporomandibular joint dysfunction or reduce your symptoms permanently.
Being treated with BOTOX® can help prevent dental pain and the inability to open your mouth wide enough during dental procedures.
Need TMJ Treatment With BOTOX® in Chicago, IL?
Dr. Fedin and the entire team at Chicago Dental Arts understand the pain and frustration that TMJ disorder can cause, and we’re here to help.
Call our Chicago, Illinois, TMJ treatment provider at (312) 642-6631 to learn more about BOTOX® for TMJ Issues. We are always glad to answer your questions!