By now you are probably well aware of the foods you should avoid in order to protect your natural teeth. You’d be hard-pressed to find a dentist in Chicago who won’t strongly encourage you to minimize your intake of sugary foods and drinks! In recognition of National Nutrition Month, we’ll be naming and explaining some delicious foods that provide the nutrients necessary to support your oral health in a meaningful way.
Want Strong Bones? Seek Calcium and Phosphorus
If you’re of a certain age, you may remember an ad campaign highlighting milk as a central component to strengthening bones—this is true for your teeth as well! Found in many of the same foods, both calcium and phosphorus are critical nutrients that help build the strength of your bones and maintain them in the years to come. If you want a smile with lasting brilliance, look to include some of the foods below into your diet:
Sources of Calcium
- Low-fat dairy products including milk and yogurt
- Soy products, including tofu and fortified beverages
- Leafy vegetables with a dark green color
- Whole sardines and canned salmon
- Beans, lentils, and almonds
- Low-fat dairy, beans, lentils, and soy products (all mentioned above)
- Poultry (chicken and turkey), organ meats, and seafood
- Whole grains, amaranth, and quinoa
- Sunflower and pumpkin seeds
Vitamin C Supports Your Teeth and Gums
Your first thought on vitamin C probably includes citrus fruits. If so, you’re absolutely correct: citrus fruits such as lemons, limes, oranges, and grapefruit provide good sources of this essential vitamin. It’s important to point out that the acidic juices of these fruits should be rinsed down with water in order to not linger and interfere with your enamel.
Sources of Vitamin C
- Brussels Sprouts, mustard spinach, and broccoli
- Chili peppers and sweet yellow peppers
- Papaya, strawberries, and kiwis
- Parsley and thyme
Find a Dentist in Chicago Who Cares
We have compassionate teams of dental care professionals in Chicago, Skokie, and Hinsdale standing by to provide you with top-notch quality care. Reach out today to schedule an appointment at the office most convenient for you!